top of page
Trinity Presbyterian-2 edited.jpg

Church History

Trinity Presbyterian Church, PC(USA), is a congregation devoted to learning, loving and giving. We invite others who wish to experience that atmosphere to visit, share God’s love and join us in our worship, fellowship and mission.

Trinity Presbyterian Church was organized on May 25, 1958 by action of the Presbytery of Missouri of the Presbyterian Church in the United States (PCUS), now the Missouri Union Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church (USA), in a service held in the Sanctuary of First Presbyterian Church.  The new church resulted from a colonization effort by the members and staff of the First Presbyterian Church in Columbia. Dr. Robert Karsch chaired the Home Mission Committee of Missouri Presbytery and was influential in the organization of Trinity Presbyterian Church. Plans were well underway by the spring of 1957, including purchase of 5 acres of land and a manse.

In late 1957, The Rev. James M. Blanton was called by the Presbytery to be the organizing pastor. He came to Columbia in January of 1958 from a pastorate in Caruthersville, Missouri, and was followed by his wife, Jacqueline (Jackie) with their two children, Alice and newborn Steven. Their third child, Sarah, was born after their arrival at Trinity. Early meetings by interested people, to plan and 

Church Exterior

organize, were held at First Presbyterian Church and later at the manse.  Worship services and church school classes began April 13, 1958, in the Missouri School of Religion's Lowry Hall on the University of Missouri Campus. There were 80 charter members of which 2 are still living members.

From the outset the church's emphasis was on intergenerational worship, service to others, outreach, and Christian Education. Construction of the first phase of a functional, utlilitarian church building began in mid-1960 on the wooded lot on Rollins Road. This first phase contained a fellowship/meeting room and Christian Education space. The first service was held in this building on World Communion Sunday, October 5, 1961, and the building was dedicated Nov. 19, 1961. In 1990 an addition to the building was constructed consisting of a sanctuary, library, choir room and more Christian Education rooms. The addition was dedicated on Nov. 11, 1990 and was paid off completely in September 2016.


The congregation has continuously been involved with meeting the needs of the community through assistance with various groups such as Voluntary Action Center, St. Francis House,  Loaves and Fishes, Rainbow House, City of Refuge, the Wardrobe, and LOVE Columbia. These have been helped through the local mission part of the annual budget and by members who feel called to such ministries. Other callings have included hospital and prison visitation in Columbia and beyond. Through the years a strong alliance developed with the Presbyterian Children's Homes and Services known as PCHAS  and this relationship continues. The church receives a special Christmas Offering for PCHAS and includes the organization in its annual budgeted giving.

Photo: Columbia Daily Tribune

For many years, our youth were involved with the Heifer project. Heifer international, facilitates the purchase of much needed farm animals for those in the US who are subsistence farmers and those living in Third World countries. In addition, Trinity contributes school kits to the annual Festival of Sharing annually. A 50th anniversary campaign for 10 Personal Energy Transport vehicles was over-subscribed with $14,900 for almost 60 vehicles! On Trinity's 60th anniversary, money was collected for the Columbia Housing Authority.  

Sponsorship of Boy Scout Troop 4 was approved by the church session on March 5, 1963. The first meeting of Troop 4 was May 6, 1963. Several of its scouts remain active as scout leaders, and the troop has generated more than 100 Eagle Scouts.

Trinity has sponsored over 30 Asian and Ethiopian refugees over the years, including one family of 13 from Cambodia. Trinity helped find homes, furnishings, clothing and jobs for these people and helped them learn the English language. These people from abroad have provided a rich education to Trinity's congregation.

Trinity's current Pastor, the Rev. Dr. Michael Stanfield, accepted a call to Trinity in 2015.  Previous pastors include the Rev. James Blanton, who retired in 1984 after twenty-six years with Trinity; the Rev. Edwin Hancock, who served as Interim Pastor until March of 1985; and the Rev. Raymond I. Massey II (Rim), who served from 1985-2013.

Trinity has a strong tie to Missouri Union Presbytery (MUP) and our current Pastor, Michael Stanfield, chairs the presbytery's Commission on Ministry.  Our Administrative Assistance serves as the Vice-Moderator of MUP, and several members currently serve on presbytery committees.  The church also generously supports the four, special, annual offerings of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.): One Great Hour of Sharing, the Pentecost Offering, the Peace and Global Witness Offering, and the Christmas Joy Offering.

bottom of page